Tuesday, 14 May 2013
Can the Canadiens draft Anthony Mantha, Frédérik Gauthier and William Carrier this June?
I came across a mock draft that does all seven rounds of the coming 2013 NHL draft(!).
Not sure how much value we'd ascribe to this, probably pretty low, but useful as a discussion starter.
1) They have the Canadiens drafting Mirco Muller, a defenceman who I know nothing about, in the first round. Right after is Anthony Mantha going to the Ducks. I doubt that the Canadiens would let a 6'3" scoring left winger homeboy slip by them to add another defenceman on an overloaded depth chart at D.
2) At #34 and #36, they have the Canadiens picking up Frédérik Gauthier and William Carrier. From their HTML to God's ears.
3) Late second we get D Brett Pesce, early third G Austin Lotz. Never heard of them. Not that that would be a stamp of approval or anything.
4) Late third, we get a 6'4" RW called Ross Olsson from the USHL. I'd rather we get the guy they have slotted two picks later, Mason Geertsen of the Vancouver Giants, he's a 6'3" defensive D who's all kinds of nasty. I saw him play twice. Man-crush. Think of him as the second coming of Craig Ludwig. Or Donald Dufresne. Or Ryan McDonagh. All kidding aside, he played on a bad team this year, and played really hard, like it mattered, and his coaches love his character.
5) Where did our fourth-round pick go?
6) Where the hell did our fifth-rounder go? Oh yeah, Davis....
7) In the sixth we get a 6' 3.5" 230 lbs D called Mitchell Wheaton from the defenceman factory known as the Kelowna Rockets, so we got that going for us.
8) In the seventh, we play small-ball again with a 5' 10.5" 172 lbs winger from Niagara, Anthony DiFruscia. I think that's a reach. I wouldn't grab that guy any higher than 210th overall.
9) They have Seth Jones, Jonathan Drouin, Nathan McKinnon, Sasha Barkov and Sean Monahan going 1 through 5, no surprises there.
10) Anthony Duclair falls to #42 in their mock, which would mean half of the fanbase would have conniptions about letting a talented homeboy slip by us when we could have used a second-rounder on him. Of course, if we did choose him, the other half would have aneurysms at the thought of another small and skilled player, although I think they'd use another colourful moniker.
11) They have Jackson Houck going #44, and I think that's way too high, that kid has guts, but he has Mike Hough written all over him.